Thursday, November 5, 2009

Shallow Hal

I had only seen Shallow Hal once and it was a long time ago, but I remember that at the time I really liked it. Today while flipping through the channels, I came across this movie from my past and found that the same affection I once had remained today. Not only does it include two of my favorite movie myraids - Jack Black and Gwyneth Paltrow, it also has a message that goes beyond the ever popular but pointless slap stick comedy. What makes it endearing is that the once 'shallow' Hal is hypnotized into seeing the appearances of people by their inner beauty. A physically handicapped man was seen to be strong and handsome, children in a burn hospital with huge physical scars were seen to be whole and beautiful, and he sees Rosemary - a severely obese woman as Gwyneth Paltrow. After time, he falls in love with Rosemary because he realizes that she does have an amazing heart and great personality. When the hypnosis finally wears off, he loves Rosemary so much that it doesn't matter what she looks like and he fights for her love and affection. Anyway, both times I saw this movie it made me think about how often I overlook people and make unfair assumptions based on appearance. It makes me recall 1 Samuel 16:7 which says:

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

No comments: